- 40th Governor of California
- Con to the question "Should the Death Penalty Be Allowed?"
“The intentional killing of another person is wrong and as Governor, I will not oversee the execution of any individual. Our death penalty system has been, by all measures, a failure. It has discriminated against defendants who are mentally ill, black and brown, or can’t afford expensive legal representation. It has provided no public safety benefit or value as a deterrent. It has wasted billions of taxpayer dollars. Most of all, the death penalty is absolute. It’s irreversible and irreparable in the event of human error.”
“Governor Gavin Newsom Orders a Halt to the Death Penalty in California,” gov.ca.gov, Mar. 13, 2019
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to death penalty issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to death penalty issues.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- 40th Governor of California (D), Jan. 2019-present
- 49th Lieutenant Governor of California, Jan. 2011-Jan. 2019
- Mayor, San Francisco, 2004-2011
- San Francisco Board of Supervisors, 1997-2004
- Founder, PlumpJack Wines, 1992
- BS, Political Science, Santa Clara University, 1989
- Twitter handle: @GavinNewsom
- Quoted in: